Outside employment requests – no, you don’t need a memo

For many years, Del Rio Sector stations have intermittently required employees to submit a memo when requesting permission to engage in outside employment. However, the only thing you need to fill out is a Form 3031, which you can find on the intranet at work.

Federal regulations require us to get permission before engaging in outside employment or certain activities, so the agency can determine if the employment or activity is a conflict of interest with our jobs or the agency’s mission.

Employees need to submit the form at least 14 calendar days before they want to start the new employment/activity. Pursuant to Article 10 of the CBA, the agency must respond as soon as possible, but no later than 15 calendar days after receiving the Form 3031. Since the routing process can be slow, we recommend submitting the form as early as possible.

Because old versions of the outside employment guidance are still floating around, your supervisor might tell you to submit a memo and the Form 3031. If that’s the case, refer your supervisor to Article 10 of the CBA or Del Rio Sector. Contact your local union rep if you have any problems.