The Special Agents Mutual Benefit Association (SAMBA) is currently offering a special open enrollment period for CBP during the month of July 2021.
Unfortunately, we have had employees in Del Rio Sector who passed away without life insurance or SAMBA, leaving it up to their families to sort out the expenses. We highly encourage employees to sign up for SAMBA, which pays either $17,500 or $35,000, depending on the plan you choose.
SAMBA advertises that the benefit is usually paid within 24 to 48 hours after notification of an employee’s death. However, there can be a much longer delay if CBP is slow when processing the paperwork, which happens quite often. Despite this, the death benefit provided by SAMBA is well worth the money.
Eligibility for the July 2021 open enrollment period applies to all permanent CBP employees who are currently in an active pay status (i.e., not on official leave, active military duty, or leave without pay status).
Enrollment began on July 1 and must be completed by July 31 to be effective on August 1, 2021. No extensions or exceptions to this timeline can be granted.
Enrollments must be made online (beginning July 1, 2021) through SAMBA’s website. To make an election:
- Go to Employee Benevolent Fund.
- Click on the Participating Federal Agencies button.
- Select CBP from the participating agency dropdown list.
- Follow the prompts to register on the SAMBA website and enroll for coverage.
Employees will pay an annual premium depending on the amount of coverage they elect. There are two coverage options:
- $39 per year for a death benefit payment of $17,500; or,
- $78 per year for a death benefit payment of $35,000.
NOTE: Annual premiums will be prorated for 2021, as new enrollments elected during this open enrollment period will not be made effective until August 1, 2021.
For coverage from August 1 through December 31, 2021, the prorated premiums will be approximately:
- $16.34 for a death benefit payment of $17,500; or,
- $32.67 for a death benefit payment of $35,000.